Have you ever spotted some pretty dish towels that you didn't want to spoil? Make them into window valances! See how to to make a valance with kitchen towels, a wooden dowel, and Command™ Hooks.
– Command™ Forever Classic Brushed Nickel Hooks – this project used two
– Measuring tape
– White spray paint
– Sewing machine (or needle and thread)
– Wooden dowel cut to fit window– this project used one dowel 0.75-inch thick by 45
– Dish towels – this project used two
If more than one hook is used to hold an item, make sure that the weight is evenly distributed between the hooks. Hooks need to be level when holding rods. When more than one hook is used to hold an item, the total weight capacity remains the same as one hook.
NOTE: Follow all Command™ Brand package instructions for proper surface cleaning and prep, adhesive strip placement and recommended weight claims.
1. Determine which window you want to create a valance for. This project focused on the window above the sink. Use measuring tape to measure the length of the window in order to determine what size dowel you’ll need.
Note: I had a standard 48-inch dowel cut down to 45 inches.
Spray paint the dowel white, set aside and let dry per the instructions on the canister.
2. To create the valance, gather your dish towels and decide how long you want the valance to be. Create a loop at the top edge of the towel and use a sewing machine (or needle and thread) stitch the top edge to the back of the towel with a basting seam. Then, slide the towels onto the dowel rod.
3. Following package instructions, adhere one Command™ Forever Classic Brushed Nickel Hook to the window trim in the corner of the window. Repeat to adhere another hook in the opposite corner of the window.
Remove the blue liner and apply the clip to the strip, making sure the tab is accessible for future removal. Press firmly along the entire clip for 30 seconds.
Repeat step 3 to adhere the remaining Command™ Clear Decorating Clip, and wait one hour before hanging decorations from the clips.
NOTE: Be sure you are using the recommended number of decorating clips depending on the weight of your banner.
4. Hang your dowel rod from the hooks and enjoy your new spring window valance!