Diane, In My Own Style
Keep your kitchen organized - designate a place for dish towels. A fun way to add a pop of color and show off your personal style.
– Command™ Picture Hanging Strips
– Command™ Quartz Terrace Hooks
– 3 decorative molding accent pieces
– Decorative pine board
– Chalk paint (in your choice of color)
– Clear paste wax
– Dark paste wax
– Soft cloth
– Small bristle paintbrush
– Wood glue
– Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
NOTE: Follow all Command™ Brand package instructions for proper surface cleaning and prep, adhesive strip placement and recommended weight claims.
1. Select a space in your kitchen for a decorative dishtowel rack, such as on the kitchen island or the side of counter.
Use wood glue to attach decorative molding pieces to a pine board, and let dry. Be sure to leave enough space in between each piece to adhere a Command™ Quartz Terrace Hook.
2. Paint the board with two coats of chalk paint. Let the first coat dry thoroughly before applying the second coat. When the board is completely dry, rub sandpaper over all the edges of the board and molding pieces to create a distressed look.
3. Apply a coat of clear wax, and rub it into the surface of the painted board. Let dry for about 15 minutes, then buff with soft cloth. Use a small paintbrush to remove wax from the detailed parts in the decorative accent molding pieces. Note: Do not apply wax where hooks will be placed as this can affect adhesion.
Repeat the process with the dark wax to give the board an aged, worn look—also known as “patina.”
NOTE: Do not apply wax where hooks will be placed as this can affect adhesion.
4. Attach the Command™ Quartz Terrace Hooks to the front of the board. First clean the area in between the decorative accent molding pieces with isopropyl rubbing alcohol, wipe gently and let dry.
5. Then remove the red liner from the adhesive strip and press to the Command™ Quartz Terrace Hook firmly. Remove the black liner from the adhesive strip and press the hook to the board for 30 seconds. For maximum holding strength, slide the hook up and off the board and press the base to the board firmly for 30 seconds.
6. Repeat for the additional hooks. Slide the hooks back on their bases and wait one hour before hanging dishtowels.
7. Adhere two sets of Command™ Picture Hanging Strips to the back of the board to hang the piece to the wall or cabinet. To make a set, place two strips together until you hear them snap. Remove one green liner from the Command™ Picture Hanging Strips and attach to the back of the board. Remove the other green liner and press the board into place on the wall or cabinet for 30 seconds.
NOTE: 2 medium sets of Picture Hanging Strips can hold 6 lbs. 2 large sets can hold 8 lbs. Ensure that the weight of your board and the items hanging on it do not exceed the maximum weight for your strips.
8. Remove the board by slowly pulling it from the bottom and towards you. Wait one hour to re-mount, pressing the fasteners together until they click.