Brought to you by Command™ Brand & Ampersand Design Studio
Come December 1st, kids and adults alike begin the exciting countdown to Christmas Day with much anticipation! An advent calendar is such a fun way to bring the countdown to life! We created this life size version using kraft boxes, bags and envelopes along with Command™ Products to accommodate all the various sizes of little gifts you might want to include! It’s bright and fun and so easy to create!
NOTE: Follow all Command™ Brand package instructions for proper surface cleaning and prep, adhesive strip placement and recommended weight claims.
To create the advent calendar, we FIRST laid the bags and boxes out on the floor in a tree (triangle) shape. It might take some moving around to get it just how you like it. Once we landed on a layout that would work nicely, we used Post-it® Super Sticky Full Adhesive Notes on the back to number the boxes and mark which colors we wanted to paint. Then, once the arrangement is dismantled for painting and applying numbers, you won’t lose track of what goes where. We even took a picture of it to refer to.
1. Take the ScotchBlue™ Painter's Tape Original Multi-Use 2090 and tape off various angles on your bags and boxes, including some straight lines, and these will form your color blocking. Make sure to wrap the tape around the top edges of the boxes, as well. Press the tape down to make sure it has adhered.
2. With a foam brush, begin painting in the area you have left clear. Be sure to paint the edges of the box lid, as well. Depending on the paint, two coats might be necessary.
EXPERT TIP: If you are doing all 25 bags and boxes for the advent calendar, be sure to divide up the colors. We did about a third of the bags and boxes in each of our three neon colors.
3. While the paint on the boxes and bags dries, use this time to paint the wooden numbers. With another foam brush, paint a light coat of white paint evenly across the face of the numbers. Let them dry.
4. Remove ScotchBlue™ Painter's Tape Original Multi-Use 2090 from the bags and boxes.
6. Now it’s time to hang the advent calendar on the wall! Arrange all of the pieces on the floor first. After accounting for the height of the gifts on Christmas Day, which will act as your tree trunk, start in the bottom center and build your pieces outward and upward. For the boxes, use Command™ Small Picture Hanging Strips.
If you don’t get it right the first time, don’t worry, all of the Command products can be easily removed and repositioned without damaging your walls!
Room accessories, garlands, tiny toys, and ornaments were supplied by The Land of Nod.