Liven up your dorm room or living space with this easy DIY modern string art statement piece - all you need are a few simple supplies, a little bit of creativity and damage-free Command™ Clear Decorating Clips!
– Thread or embroidery floss
– A ruler or measuring tape
A pen or Sharpie® Permanent Marker
NOTE: Follow all Command™ Brand package instructions for proper surface cleaning and prep, adhesive strip placement and recommended weight claims.
1. Decide on a design and string color combination that reflects your personal style.
2. Using Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape map out your design on the wall. This project example uses two layers of thread, so two different colors of Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape are used to differentiate them.
3. While following packaging instructions, adhere Command™ Clear Decorating Clips to the wall at the ends of the Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape then apply labels next to the Command™ Clear Decorating Clips so that you are able to identify the path to connect the string. This project labels the outer, longer layer with numbers and the inner, shorter layer with letters.
4. Remove the Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape outline and then start wrapping your string around the Command™ Clear Decorating Clips while keeping the number and/or letter labels intact so that you know which direction to connect the strings. For a thicker, bolder look, wrap the string around several times. If you want a more delicate look, wrap it around only once or twice. You can do one layer on top of the other or intertwine them for a more unique design. This project uses a third color of string to connect and outline the two layers and then creates a square frame around the outside of the design to complete the look.
5. Once you have finished and are satisfied with your string art décor, remove the Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape number and/or letter labels. If you decide you want to try a different design, hold the Command™ Clear Decorating Clips gently at the top and then slowly pull the clear tab at the bottom straight down. They will come off easily and cleanly without any damage to your wall!